With the tax filing deadline approaching, have you considered contributing to an Individual Retirement Arrangement (IRA)?

IRAs are one of the most powerful retirement savings tools available to you. Even if you’re contributing to a workplace retirement plan, you may want to consider having an IRA as well. You may be eligible for a full or partial federal tax deduction with a traditional IRA. This can be especially valuable if you are already contributing the maximum to your workplace plan, such as a 403(b) or 457(b).

There’s still time to make an IRA contribution for the 2016 tax year. The deadline is Monday, April 18. For 2016 and 2017, you can contribute up to $5,500 per year, and up to $6,500 if you are (or will be) age 50 or older this year.1

There are two types of IRAs: traditional and Roth. The same $5,500 annual contribution limit applies to both. While you can have both traditional and Roth IRAs, your total annual contribution to all IRAs that you own cannot be more than the annual limit established by the I.R.S.

Earnings in both kinds of IRAs grow tax-deferred, but there are significant differences between a traditional IRA and Roth IRA.

Traditional IRAs: This type of IRA offers you a great way to help lower your taxable income. Almost anyone who earns taxable compensation can open one. Contributions may be tax-deductible as described above, but your contributions and the IRA’s earnings are taxed when withdrawn. You cannot make contributions after age 70½; at that point, annual income distributions must be taken from the IRA.1

Roth IRAs: Contributions are not tax-deductible. However, distributions of contributions and earnings are free from federal taxes after a five-year holding period if you meet certain requirements, such as being age 59½ or older when the distribution from the Roth IRA is made.1

A traditional IRA may be right for you if you want to reduce your yearly taxable income during your working years. A Roth IRA might make more sense if you want to minimize taxes during retirement, when you may be in a lower tax bracket. I can help you determine which one is more beneficial for you, considering your individual circumstances.

Keep in mind that your Roth or traditional IRA contribution must be made before this year’s April 18 federal tax filing deadline, so call me today at «representativephone».


1 irs.gov/retirement-plans/traditional-and-roth-iras [1/30/17]